Saturday, April 4, 2009

Show Date: April 04, 2009 - Fitz

This was an awesome show. It's one of those shows where you still have show high for like 3 days after. When we pulled up for load in I saw this guy sitting outside that looked hella familiar to me, and I'm like, man, where do I know you from and he's like I play with The Vettes. The Vettes!!! My absolute favorite band out of New Orleans, which is coincidentally my hometown. So already I'm amped cuz I don't get uber excited to too many bands but The Vettes is one of them.


We get everything setup, we were in the downstairs lounge and were actually playing with other more progressive bands for once, Harem Festival and A Perfect Flame. Which is kinda cool, but we are a more aggressive prog band that we feel we can fit in on any type of bill. I just pray we don't get our asses kicked when we play that metal show in San Antonio.

We had a late slot so I really had the chance to run around and soak in as much live music as possible. The Vettes' set was super. The only hiccup was when my friend JP screamed out to Rachel Vette, the lead singer, for her to take off her clothes. I mean, it seems even when they're in Houston, New Orleans is never too far away. She handled him gracefully telling him basically no, and I leaned over and told him see all those guys glaring at him from the stage? Those are her brothers. I guess that is the advantage of being in an all sibling band. JP seemed to sober up a little after that.

By the time we hit the stage, we had a slamming crowd, which is great because any band feeds off the energy of the audience and we basically launched into pure pandemonium. Somehow between writhing on the floor, climbing on amps, powerchugging beers between verses, jumping into the crowd, falling off stage and getting drinks poured all over ourselves we actually managed to play some songs.

The only hitch was at points Rick's guitar kept cutting out. So it's our final song 'Means to an End' which has Rick wrap up the set with this hip guitar solo and BAM!!! right when he hits his solo his guitar cuts out. Somehow I managed to powerslide over without wasting a single drop of beer, hold his guitar cord steady in the jack so he was back live and feed him a beer all without him missing a single note. I still tear up just thinking about it.

After the set we just hung with friends and shared love. When outta the blue these dudes, who I had actually got a beer for earlier, snatched Rosie outta Gabe's hands and took off with her. Man, Gabe and Rick had to chase these dudes down 3 blocks. When they caught up with them hiding under a car, a fight almost ensued before they got Rosie back. I was waiting on the curb, damn near inconsolable. When Rick and Gman finally came round the corner with Rosie in their hands it was like the clouds had parted. I could breath again.


Just then Rachel Vette was walking out and we talked for a bit. I had her sign Rosie. It was a righteous night.

No comments:

Post a Comment