Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Show Date: October 7, 2009 - Nico Vega

I died and went to heaven.

We got asked to open again for Nico Vega as they came back through town. It would be our first time playing the Meridian and I just couldn't get over that I was essentially gonna get paid to see Nico Vega live again.

We got there early and Aja, Dan and Rick were already there doing sound check. It's funny because after the first time we opened for them Gabe would drop them a line occasionally on myspace and they would always get back to him, so down to Earth and real. I cornered Aja and asked her for a photo later on and she was so down.

During sound check they had Aja just doing some vocals without the band as they tried to trouble shoot something and I swear, I was just in awe of her voice. It was amazing. I couldn't wait for them to go on.

We played damn early. I'm talking before 9 but hey, those are the breaks, I didn't mind a bit. The show must have been alright because Meridian asked us right away if they could have us back. And then after some other great bands played like 38 Caliber Hero, Osirus, and The Ride Home, Nico Vega took the stage.

Man, it was top 3 of the best shows I've seen this year, along with A dream Asleep and The Shitty Limits from the UK. Amazing. The band's connection with the audience, and how they fused with their music. Aja pointed me out a few times and sang to me, yeah, I know everyone always thinks that, but it was me, fool! Back off me. And there again was that voice. I remember thinking damn, now that's a real woman.

Then halfway through the set Dan gets up and says "Hey, first all, do yall know who we are? Nico Vega, that's right. Second, does anyone have a snare drum I can borrow?" Dan had put a stick thru his snare head. So of course Gabe is like, I got one, so while he runs to get it Aja sings The Coal Miners Song acapella. Chills.


So the set rages on, Dan's playing on Gabe's snare, me and Rick are acting a fool and having the greatest time and then after the set, they posed for pics with everyone and signed a CD, poster, and set list for us. I'm telling you, fool, I'm a fan!

Gabe even managed to get Dan's number cause they were talking so much drum tech stuff, but I'm sure he had his number changed the next day.

You would think that would be the end of the story, but I go to Dirt afterward for a nightcap and Dirt's crazy packed for a Wed. So I'm like what's going on? And they tell me some bands here, so I wander in to see who it was and it turns out that Semi Precious Weapons, who we've also opened for when we first played with Nico Vega, had a show that same night at House of Blues.

What are the odds. Justin wasn't there, but I was talking with Cole and Dan for a bit and they didn't even know Nico Vega was in town, so they called them to come hang out. I was just blown away that they even remembered me, Dan was talking how he has yet to listen to my solo album I gave him like 9 months ago, man. Hey, he was the one who brought it up, though.

But regardless, it was an amazing night.

No comments:

Post a Comment